TASKS & RESPONSIBILITIES
JOSA is looking for multi-skilled technologists who are interested in Open Source, and willing to implement new amazing projects within our vision. Tasks in this position can include:
- IT Management and Software Development
- Perform project management activities, including setting timelines, release schedules, planning, leading other team members in IT-related projects.
- Develop tools and systems used by JOSA.
- Support deploying, maintaining and upgrading new and existing IT infrastructure.
- Train team and community members to better utilize the services offered by JOSA.
- Develop internal policies and documentation for JOSA’s systems and infrastructure.
- Contribution to open-source projects
- Contribute or gather contributions to various open-source projects (localization, functionality, raising awareness, etc).
- Support local organizations and community members in releasing their software as open-source projects.
- Advocating for adoption and implementation of open-source software.
- Advocating for adoption of privacy enhancing tools.
- Raising awareness about digital security and online privacy.
- Conducting and providing assistance on research activities related to open-source software, digital safety, etc.
- Knowledge acquisition and sharing
- Conduct orientation and technical on-boarding for new hires.
- Develop and organize training programs in alignment with JOSA’s mission.
- Develop and organize training manuals, multimedia visual aids, and other educational materials.
- Supervise the creation of learning material for the extended JOSA community.
- Other duties as assigned
- Passionate about JOSA’s mission and values.
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, or a similar field.
- Proven experience in the field. Preferably, the candidate should have experience in at least one of the following fields:
- Software development, with contributions or previous knowledge of Open Source.
- Previous experience in delivering training sessions or workshops refarding one or more open source software.
- System administration or DevOps, utilizing open source tools.
- CivicTech, privacy enhancing tools, and cybersecurity.
- Preferably, a JOSA member or a member/volunteer of any open source community.
- A genuine passion for helping others and a natural flair for building relationships.
- Able to think creatively.
- Excels at operating in a fast pace, community environment
- Ability to manage multiple priorities and deadlines
The Technologist reports to the Lead Technologist.
The Jordan Open Source Association (JOSA) is a non-profit organization based in Amman, Jordan.
JOSA’s mission is to promote open source principles for the good of Jordanian society. We believe that information that is non-personal – whether it’s software code, hardware design blueprints, data, network protocols and architecture, content – should be free for everyone to view, use, share, and modify. Our belief also holds that information that is personal should be protected within legal and technological frameworks. Access to the modern Web should likewise remain open.
JOSA is an equal opportunity employer. We value diversity and don’t discriminate on the basis of race, color, marital status, religion, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, or disability status.
How to apply
To apply, please send an email to jobs [at] josa <dot> ngo with the subject 'Technologist', in the email, please include: